Pushing the limits of your factory WRX top mount intercooler?
If you have made modifications to your vehicle such as an upgraded turbo-back exhaust system with upgraded fuel, increased boost or an upgraded turbocharger then your factory top mount intercooler may not be robust enough.
Process West are recognised for producing some of the strongest intercoolers on the market and this front mount intercooler system for the VA WRX is no exception - their main focus is design and excelling in quality parts. The intercooler core is a large 685 x 275 x 85mm bar and plate core that comes with lightweight CNC mandrel-bent aluminium intercooler pipes.
Front mount intercooler benefits
- Maximum air flow and greater distribution across the intercooler core is achieved through high-flow cast intercooler end tanks.
- The cooling efficiency of the turbocharger is improved because the front mount intercooler provides the vehicle with larger surface coverage. This in turn reduces heat soak and allows the turbo to operate optimally.
- It actually fits! Cheaper intercooler kits cost less to buy, but cost significantly more to fit, often requiring modification and can give poor results.
- Supports higher power levels if a large turbocharger is fitted. This efficient core design has been proven up to 600whp (441kw).
- Consistent power. A top-mounted intercooler is prone to heat soak due to hot air rising from the engine and reducing intercooler efficiency and temporarily reducing power. A front-mounted intercooler is not prone to heat soak so will provide more consistent power.
Compatibility with WRX
The advantage of this kit is that it will fit to the vehicle without making modifications to the kit or chassis. Necessary hardware as well as a blow-off valve adaptor, high-grade silicone couplers and clamps are included in the kit making it one of the best off-the-shelf options for the 2014-20 Subaru WRX on the market. Trimming of the bumper is required. This is intercooler is to fit the version 12 VA WRX with FA20 DIT engine.
See our other options if you have a WRX STI or you'd like to consider a top-mounted Process West Verticooler.